Tips When Designing
Thought i’d give you some designing tips today. I’ll start with a little background. Over the past 30 years of remodeling, I’ve found that many projects run into some type of obstacle during the process. Almost seems like it’s a natural part of the process. I’ve also found that the outcome of a project – that’s run into an obstacle – can be determined by how we solve these obstacles, aka opportunities, together.
First of all, we don’t get nervous, and we don’t resign ourselves to accept what we may see as an inevitable outcome. Together, we get creative. We work with the resources available and maximize what we can do. Together, we think outside the box. Here is where experience can truly pay off.
Also, a reminder, changes don’t necessarily have to cost more. Our objective is to complete your project in the easiest, most cost efficacious way.
To that end, here are some designing tips that can really save time and money.
Tips When Designing:
- Relocating a door way can dramatically change your layout and function.
- Move a refrigerator to a back corner to open up the visual kitchen size
- Avoid using a lazy susan where possible. They require 3’ of space and you end up with a hard to reach counter space. 3’ of straight cabinets is more functional for lower and upper cabinet use.
- Pantries can be a waste of space and can create a visual wall making your kitchen feel small. Most pantries have hard to reach areas and cubic feet of dead space. A drawer base, countertop and upper cabinet will generally give you the same usable space with added benefits.
- Don’t use pull out shelves. Why open a door to pull out a short shelf when you can just pull out a drawer.
- Dividers in one half of a 24” deep and 20” high over the refrigerator cabinet can provide useful cookie sheet storage and free up a lower cabinet.
- A low drawer under a sink cabinet is a handy use of space. CAUTION: the drain needs to clear the top of drawer.
Hope these tips help a little, please don’t hesitate to send us an email, or blog us if you a question that needs an answer, That’s what we’re here for.